Anatoly Karpov Biography and Wiki
Anatoly Karpov born Anatoly Yevgenyevich Karpov is a Russian chess grandmaster and former World Chess Champion. Anatoly was the official world champion from 1975 to 1985 until he was defeated by Garry Kasparov. His merits include over 160 first-place finishes and a peak Elo rating of 2780. His 102 total months at world number one is the third-longest of all time.
Anatoly Karpov Age and Birthday
Anatoly was born on May 23, 1951, in Zlatoust, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union. He is 69 years old as of 2021. His birth sign is Gemini.
Anatoly Karpov Height
Karpov stands at a height of 5 feet and 6 inches (Approx. 1.7m) tall.
Anatoly Karpov Education
Anatoly first attended Mikhail Botvinnik’s prestigious chess school. After winning a gold medal for academic excellence in high school, Anatoly joined Moscow State University in 1968 to study mathematics.
He later transferred to Leningrad State University, eventually graduating from there in economics.
Anatoly Karpov Family, Parents, Siblings
Attempts to establish his parents’ identities were in vain since no information about them is available to the public. It’s therefore unknown whether if he has any siblings. This section is under review and will be updated soon.
Anatoly Karpov Wife and Kids, Is He Married?
Moving on to his marital affairs, the chess player was first married to Irina Kuimova whom they had a son. Unfortunately, the marriage did not last, since Irina was unable to cope with the pressures of Karpov’s career as a chess player of international acclaim.
Karpov later married his current wife, Natalia Bulanova. The couple has since welcomed a daughter.
Anatoly Karpov Net Worth
Anatoly Karpov has an estimated net worth of $5 million as of 2021. his primary source of income is his career as a chess player.
Anatoly Karpov Books
- Karpov, Anatoly; Roshal, Alexander (1979). Chess Is My Life.
- Karpov, Anatoly (1988). The Open Game in Action.
- Karpov, Anatoly (1988). The Semi-Open Game in Action.
- Karpov, Anatoly (1990). The Closed Openings in Action.
- Karpov, Anatoly (1990). The Semi-Closed Openings in Action.
- Karpov, Anatoly (1990). Karpov on Karpov: Memoirs of a chess world champion.
- Karpov, Anatoly (1992). Beating the Grünfeld.
- Karpov, Anatoly (2006). Caro-Kann Defence: Advance Variation and Gambit System.
- Karpov, Anatoly (2007). My Best Games.
- Karpov, Anatoly; Henley, Ron (2007). Elista Diaries.
- Karpov–Kamsky, Karpov–Anand, Anand Mexico City 2007 World Chess Championship Matches.
- Karpov, Anatoly (2007). How To Play The English Opening.
- Find the right plan with Anatoly Karpov.
Anatoly Karpov IQ
Karpov has a high IQ and is considered as the 11th among the Top 25 Chess players of all time and was World Champion for a total of 16 years (10 years as undisputed champion)
Anatoly Karpov Garry Kasparov
Anatoly fought Kasparov in three more world championship matches in 1986 (held in London and Leningrad), 1987 (in Seville), and 1990 (in New York City and Lyon). Karpov had winning chances up to the very last games in all three matches. The most outstanding was the 1987 Seville match which featured an astonishing blunder by Kasparov in the 23rd game.
Karpov scored 19 wins, 21 losses, and 104 draws in 144 games in their five world championship matches.